Sunday, September 12, 2021

Jeffry Michael Jensen


Falling Down for Fun and Profit 


The virtual psycho elephant in the room lost his nerve

playing pin-the-tail on the cranky Valley politician.

I kept egging him on to go for the jugular,

but the elephant really got the 3D shakes and couldn’t

follow through with any pure animal focus.

As it appeared to all of us surround-sound fanatics,

the whole nerve thing was just another ruse

to take our eyes off all the greasy fingers

flipping fun and profit left and right before sunup.

While I’ve had trouble not getting distracted

by the frolic intensity of my two-bit jazz membrane

as it bleaches beer and saltines to keep my two left feet

from giving way to some Bukowski lowlife instinct,

I still relish the bizarro Chateau Marmont encounter

living large once my head hit the eternal grainy pillow.

Yet, I’m still ahead of the curve by being on the in

with an army of bungalow cats too cool for school.

So maybe I should pull the proverbial plug

on the shady side of the long-lost family fishing trip

and leave all this falling down Rimbaud impulse

to the Westside suckers waiting for mommy leave home

in order to sign up for the cat infantry before the next

tortured elephant I meet can redirect the up escalator

into the blur made by the toxic tilt of fun and profit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

R A Ruadh

I am Crann Bethadh I am a tiny green bud on a branch Unfurling a little too early There is concern I might not grow up That I will shrivel a...